A bedtime story is the perfect end to the bedtime routine for our little darlings, right before the kiss goodnight. For many, it is a favourite time in which we can read and relax together. The key word here being - relax. Picking a bedtime-friendly book is important because we want our child to be in a 'ready for sleep' zone and that is why it is important to be mindful of the book we choose. Not all books are ideal for bedtime. Choosing a book about the adventures of your child’s favourite super hero won't exactly get him into the calm zone and be ready to close his eyes. I don’t recommend choosing a new book either. Choosing something you’ve never read right before sleep might make for more excitement or stimulation than wanted. More importantly, young children find comfort in reading the same few books over and over because it makes them feel calm and secure- the very thing we want them to feel right before they close their eyes. How best to choose a bedtime book? As a general rule of thumb, if the book ends with somebody drifting off to sleep I’d say it’s bedtime-friendly!
Here is my list of favourite Sleep Consultant approved bedtime books by age range.
Babies And Young Toddlers
1. ‘Goodnight Moon’, by Margaret Wise Brown
- There’s a reason it's a classic, for 50+ years this book has stood the test of time.
2. ‘Guess How Much I Love You’, by Sam McBratney
- This book gives a warm and cozy feeling to those reading it.
3. ‘Good Night I Love You’, by Caroline Jayne Church
- Perfect for familiarizing with bedtime routine and preparing for bed.
4. ‘The Going To Bed Book’, by Sandra Boynton
- Silly and upbeat, this has been a staple in my house that both my kids have loved for years.
Older Children 3+ Years
1. ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’, by Iza Trapani
- The classic lullaby turned into a multi page story book is perfect once child’s attention span is a bit more mature.
2. ‘Goodnight Hockey’ or ‘Goodnight Soccer’, by Michael Dahl
- Perfect for both older boys and girls, whichever sport they prefer.
3. ‘Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site’, by Sherri Duskey Rinker
- A popular one for many reasons but especially great because it has the longest age range of interest starting from under 2 years old to much beyond.